Monday, May 17, 2010

How To Say Goodbye In Robot

Okay, I'll admit it...I totally picked this book up because of the title. Yes, I checked it out from the library and read it all because of the title. So, note to all you authors: A good title can change your lives!

Bea and her parents are moving. Again. New town, new school, new friends. She's used to it by now. She'll become friends with the friendly, average girl as usual, right? Wrong. Bea's life changes when she meets the boy who sits next to her, Jonah. Jonah is quit and keeps to himself. He hasn't had a friend in years, but something in Bea strikes his interest. Their friendship grows and blossoms into something more than a friendship, but not a romance either. They know about each other's dysfunctional families, secrets from the past, and aspirations for the future. Their relationship means one thing: love. But is love enough?
This book wasn't what I expected at all. It was a little quirky, a little sweet, and a little dark. It didn't grab me and make me fall in love with the characters or the plot, but that doesn't mean it was a bad book. I'm glad I read it because it was so different from anything else I've read this year. No, I didn't love the book, but it would have been an awesome quick read for a rainy day. I'm interested to look into more of Natalie Standiford's work. She took an interesting approach into the lives of Bea and Jonah and I appreciate her for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment