Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Lightning Thief

Yes, I am one of those old women who reads books about 12 year olds. What's your point? This is another book that I had to read before seeing the movie. I was so excited to read it because 1.) I've been in love with Greek Mythology since the 9th grade. 2.) I thought it would be sort of Harry Potter-esque, you know: young boys discovers something strange about himself and his parents, meets friends like him, saves the world type story. And 3.) The guy who plays Percy in the movie is HOTT!! So, I checked the book out from the library and dug in.

Perseus (Percy) Jackson is a 12 year old boy who is dyslexic and has ADD. He had been thrown out of six schools in six years. At his current school, things start to get really strange. Soon, he discovers that he is a demigod, half god half human. Percy is sent to Half-blood Camp for the summer to stay away from the mythological monsters that are after him. At camp, Percy discovers that Posidon, the god of the sea is his father. He also learns that he has been accused for stealing Zues's master lightning bolt. He must set off on a quest with his two new friends to set the gods straight and to clear his name.

This book was SO GOOD! I loved how the story had so many mythological refernces. It really makes me want to brush up on my knowledge of mythology. Percy and his friends were so brave and daring. The story was fun and mysterious. I will definitely be picking up the next book in the series, The Sea of Monsters.

1 comment:

  1. Your 1,2,3 points are spot on with me so you get a big thumbs up

    ReplyDelete