Monday, March 15, 2010

Going Bovine

I have been reading such wonderful things about Libba Bray's books and so I picked a few of them up from the library. I decided to read a stand alone first and Going Bovine just sounded so interesting that I gave it a try.

Cameron is a 16 year old boy who is coasting his way through high school with a minimum of effort. He has a twin sister who is popular and makes great grades, a mom is teaches English 101 at a local college, and a father who is a physics professor. His life seems pretty normal if not boring until one fateful day when he discovers that he is sick with a fatal disease. Cameron's life changes instantly. He's not ready to die; he's only 16 and is still a virgin! He begins to prepare himself for the worst until one day a punk rock angel appears and tells Cameron that there is a cure and that he must go on a road trip with his friend Gonzo, a paranoid dwarf who is obsessed with video games. Cameron's journey through America is filled with chaos, adventure, love, and lost.

This book started out to be hilarious and fun. After the first 100 pages or so, it started to get a little trippy like I was taking a ride on psychedelics. It actually took me weeks to finish this book. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy the book, but there was something about it that I just couldn't get into. I must say, the writing was wonderful, but the plot was sub par. I give this book 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment