Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Hush, Hush

So there has been a lot of hype about this book from the girls in my interwebz book club. I HATE spoilers, so I really did not know what this book was Becca Fitzpatrick wrote about in Hush, Hush. I was a little surprised by the subject matter and a little disappointed in the writing.
Nora Grey is an excellent high school student. She has a best friend Vee and makes good grades. Nora and Vee and anti-twins. They are complete opposites in every way. Vee is not interested in school and is boy crazy. Nora is focused on her grades and could care less about boys. That is until Patch replaces Vee as her lab partner in Biology. Patch is the definition of mysterious. Nora knows nothing about him or his past, but she is drawn to him against her better judgement. He draws her in with his sly smile and dark eyes.

After a series of frightening events, Nora doesn't know if she can trust Patch or not. Patch knows a lot about Nora without her having to tell him. He also seems to be everywhere she is. When she finally gets answers about Patch and his past, she discovers that the truth is unsettling. She doesn't know who to trust, and the wrong decision can cost her her life.

I must say, I was a little disappointed in this book. It had many similarities to Twilight and Evermore and that's not a good thing.

First of all, they main characters meet in Biology class. Does that sound familiar to anyone? I must say that I am a Biology teacher and nothing that exciting ever happened in my classes. Thank you Stephanie Meyer for creating the idea that Biology class is so appealing. If only my students were as excited about their lab partners. *Note my sarcastic font.*

Second, the whole "he's so dangerous but oh-so-hot, but he may kill me, but I'm so attracted to him" premise is getting really old. Books like this do not teach about healthy relationships. Why are you attracted to someone who could potentially kill you? Yeah he's hot, but RUN THE OTHER WAY!

The last thing that bothered me were the characters' names. I mean seriously, Patch,Vee, and Nora? What year is this? These were the worst names in a YA book that I've ever come across. UGH! I can't even express how much I hated the names. Some of you are probably thinking that their names shouldn't get me so worked up, but YOU"RE WRONG. It's something about characters' names that either draw you in or make you totally uninterested. Needless to say, I was pretty uninterested in the characters.

So, the book wasn't a total fail. The last 100 pages had me wanting to know what was going to happen next. I did like the ending of the book, and I look forward to reading the sequel when it comes out later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment