Thursday, March 18, 2010

Hex Hall

So I've been reading a lot of Internet buzz about this book from some of the girls in my online book club. I read the synopsis online and decided to buy it and give it a try. Now, this is strange because I rarely buy new books. I totally believe in the library and I use it to my advantage. Boy am I glad I bought the book instead of waiting forever to check it out! Plus, the author, Rachel Hawkins, lives in Alabama; therefore, I'm supporting a local author! Yay me!
Sophie Mercer is a 16 year old witch who has lived in 19 different states and attended just as many schools. She always seems to cause problems (spells gone wrong) at her school and must relocate. After a love spell gone horribly wrong, Sophie's mother-a human, and her father-an out-of-the-picture warlock decide to send her to Hectate Hall until she turns 18. Hectate is a school for witches, faeries, and shapeshifters. Once at Hectate, Sophie befriends her roommate, the only vampire student, Jenna. Sophie and Jenna are constantly having to defend themselves against 3 dark witches/bitches, and Sophie begins to fall in love with a gorgeous warlock, Archer. When Jenna is accused of murder, Sophie is the only one on her side.

Okay, first things first- these were the best character names I've read in a LONG time! I mean Sophie, Archer, Chaston, and Elodie? I love them! Those names are way better than normal boring names like say, Bella, Jacob, or Edward. I'm just saying...

This book was so good! I zipped right through it and then was upset that there wasn't more. I can't believe I have to wait for the second book to come out in March 2011!! I loved Sophie! I really felt like I knew and understood her by the end of the book. This book was funny and exciting. There were some unexpected twists and a cliffhanger at the end. If those ingredients don't make a good book then I don't know what does. Go get your copy today!

1 comment:

  1. As I said last night, I KNEW you'd love it!

    I enjoyed the names too and when I was reading Before I Fall I got excited because one of the characters was named Elody and then in PJ and the Battle of the Labyrinth, it mentions Hecate.

    I cannot WAIT for book 2

    ReplyDelete