Thursday, March 25, 2010

Identical

The first book I read this year was Crank Ellen Hopkins. The subject matter was a little dark, but I loved her writing style. She writes her books in verse. At first, I thought that it would be difficult for me to read a book written like that, but it flowed so beautifully that I knew I would read more of her work. I picked up Identical from the library and dove right into it.

Kaeleigh and Raeanne are identical twins. Their parents are well known members in their small town. Their father is a district-court judge and their mother is a politician. On the outside, it looks like they have a picture-perfect family, but nothing can be farther from the truth. There family hides a horrible secret.

Kaeleigh is the focus of her daddy's love and affection, love that is meant for her absent mother. Raeanne is rebellious and uses drugs, alcohol and sex to help fight the demons at home. Both girls are struggling with addictions, eating disorders, and insecurities. They are both lacking a healthy relationship with their parent. Although they are facing the same struggles, the twins do not rely on each other for help or strength. Can they make it on their own, or will they help each other through this horrible time?

WOW, this book was just...WOW. At first, I didn't know if I would be able to finish reading it. The subject matter was a little darker than what I'm used to, and I just didn't know if I could handle it. I am so glad I stuck through it. Hopkins' writing was beautiful, as usual. She chose a subject that doesn't get talked about much in YA books and she took a different approach. She kept me engaged the whole time. I went through all the emotions: happy, sad, angry, shocked. At one point, I even through the book across the room. I highly recommend this book. Go check it out today!

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds so good!! Must put it on my TBR shelf on Goodreads!

    ReplyDelete